Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Day 84: Comeuppance

After 5 days of 2-hour delays, we got back to a normal schedule today.  Suddenly, my classes are SO LONG!!

Also, to make up for all of the prep time I've had over the past 5 days, my preps today were filled with coverages.  I can't really complain about it, but I totally will.

After the success yesterday in math 8 with the movie ticket problem, I took it a step further today.  I went onto the Verizon website and pulled up the data for a single line plan.

I know they aren't paying for their own phone plans yet, but they do spend a ton of time on them and which  cell plan to buy is a good way to look at systems of equations.

 This ended up with a fairly good discussion about data use and the importance of having enough information when you buy a product.  I actually got one of the students to say that when they went in to buy a plan, they would need to know about how much data they use each month.

We talked about finding the equations of the lines from the data and from the graph.  The next step will be to collect more data and see what we can do with it.  My 8th period asked about cars, so I think I'm going to look into price and mileage for a few cars.

The geometry class continued working on their midterm reviews while I met with students individually to discuss their chapter 4 tests.  I only got through a few kids, but the conferences went very well.  I wish I had the time to do it more often.



I slipped up today.  I got overly familiar with a student and ended up hurting her feelings.  I didn't realize that I had done so since we were all joking around, but I found out later that she was very upset.  A few other students came to tell me and I immediately pulled the girl out of class to apologize.  I think she's a remarkable young woman and I was careless with my words.

I apologized to her in person and will do so again, but I also want this to serve as a public apology in the event that she reads it.  I am so sorry and I promise to be more aware of my words in the future.
I never want to be that teacher who ruins something for a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...